Monday, April 27, 2009

Note to self...Travel is Misery

I just got back from another grueling day of airline travel. There's really no way to make solo travel fun, I have discovered through careful planning, research, and experimentation. I have tried getting enough sleep the night before, sleeping on the plane, drinking coffee, dressing down, dressing up, talking, reading, listening to headphones.

Nothing works. I always arrive mildly disoriented, more tired no matter how much sleep I got, and annoyed as hell. 

Is teleporter research getting any funding in the stimulus bill? As a country, we need to get our priorities in order and work on what really matters.

3 comments:

  1. How about flying first class? I've been told that's sweet.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think you need some prodding to make more posts. So I prod.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Here's a horrible traveling story... and I'm living it right now.

    I got called on a business trip on Wednesday to leave Thursday for Friday work... in Kansas.

    I book the latest flight out on Thursday 'cause I had to work. That was a 7 PM flight, requiring me to leave the office at 3:30. I get a call at 1 telling me my flight is canceled and there's no flight to nowheresville USA unless I catch a flight that departs at 3:35, i.e. leave office now in middle of all the work.

    I drop everything to rush to the airport, hop on the plane and get stuck on the runway for an hour and a half because the winds are too strong. I land in Missouri 2 hours late.

    My flight back is at 7. I rush to the airport, thunderstorm begins, and learn, at 6, that my plane to Newark hadn't even left Newark yet, i.e. it's still stuck where I need to go when I should've been on it. They tell me the delayed departure time is 9:56 when the plane's arrival time from Newark is 9:52. Unless they intend to disembark the plane and get everyone on and close the door in four minutes, my flight's clearly getting even more delayed, and it is. Meanwhile, the aircraft is so small you can fit two of them on a jumbo jet.

    This is traveling hell, but hey, at least I'm in Kansas where people are pleasant. Oh wait... It's Missouri. Or Missoura as people call it around here.

    ReplyDelete