Tuesday, April 14, 2009

Law School Update

I'm now at 4-1-4, overall. BU waitlisted me and Colorado accepted me today. Colorado also invited me to an open house--a nice gesture--on Friday. In Colorado. Now, pray tell, what is the point of inviting someone in Boston to an event three days later? 

I'm glad I got in, don't get me wrong. Colorado is a great school that I'm lucky to be accepted to. It's also nice to get an ego boost after a period of one rejection and four consecutive waitlists. Applying to law school is very much a test of one's character, questioning your security, confidence, and most of all, patience. 

Just a note for anyone considering law school--all my reaches have been rejections or waitlists so far. I don't know the likelihood of getting in off waitlists, but I now know the likelihood of getting into a better school than expected is not very high. Even places that gave me fee waivers (free applications) have put me on waitlists. 

I've got two more to go--BC and Stanford. It would be nice to be accepted by my alma mater, but I'm really not holding my breath on Stanford after all these other quasi-denials. 

Thank God I got Teach for America. That's all I have to say. I'm so glad not to be forced to wait in tense expectation to be accepted from a waitlist while paying huge deposits to hold my spot at another school. 

PS. It was really sad to turn down Lewis and Clark today. They were so amazing every time that I talked to them, and really presented their case much better than any other school applied to. They had a beautiful, informative guidebook and friendly admissions staff. They offered me a lot of money. At least I'll have the chance to apply again in a couple years if I decide law school is the path that interests me most.

1 comment:

  1. We all know BU doesn't matter, so let's not count them. Why oh why did u even apply? Have you seen their law school? If I asked an architect to intentionally create the most hideous building one could find in Moscow during the Soviet Union, I don't think he can do better than BU Law.

    But Colorado is very nice. And Lewis & Clark. And the other two schools (one of which, if I remember correctly, is Washington).

    Four wait lists are a bit high, though. So I guess you were in like law school admissions purgatory. One would think you'd get into at least one of the four.

    I don't know how much of a "reach" Stanford is for you, but BC tends to be much harder for BC grads than average applicants just because so many from BC apply. If I were forced to hold my breath for the life of me (weird analogy, I know), I'd hold my breath for Stanford.

    If you ever decide to go to law school, you may want to carefully consider going to a lower-tiered school even if you get into your "reach" school. It's really hard to appreciate this until you get there, but law school is all about grades in your first year. Being in the top 10% at Syracuse is better than in the middle of the class at Georgetown.

    ReplyDelete